Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A new day

I feel refreshed.

I always remember September as a time of renewal, fresh starts and opportunity. Unopened markers with tips still sharp and pointed. New pencils yet to be chewed. A wardrobe of fall clothes that would finally grant me membership in the popular crowd. The chance to re-define oneself and start anew.

Since I graduated from university, September has lost some of its meaning for me. Every time September would roll around, I would feel more annoyed by the incessant back to school advertising. But this year is different. My son started Kindergarten today.

My old excitement of fresh starts has returned and I can't wait to see what the future holds. My son continues to amaze and humble me as all children do for their parents. He is his own person and I'm slowly accepting that. And with that growing acceptance, I learn that I, too, am my own person.

I'm excited about his future and now mine as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I remember those feelings, too, when school would start. I hope your son enjoys school and you find what you are looking for. I can't wait to hear more about your "fabulousness."